Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Site Visit #1: Mill Creek Regional Park


It was a hot, dry day at the end of July. The temperature was somewhere in the low-to-mid 30s when our class of 6 M.Ed. students headed out to Mill Creek Regional Park for our first "site visit". While all of us have visited parks before, most of us had not written about our experiences; thus, we were navigating into unknown waters.







Anyway, since we were there, field journals and textbooks in hand, we just went. There was considerable signage as we entered the park, and the welcome sign was adorned with graffiti. Who tags a park sign? I thought that would be confined to the more urban parts of Kelowna. Clearly I am wrong about that.


We all rambled on down the dusty trail that was well-shaded by the green umbrella of cedars overhead. Some of us moved quickly down the trail, seeking their own secluded spot in the woods, while others meandered more slowly, taking their time in finding solitude to think, ponder, take in our surroundings, and write. I was part of that latter group. For my Environmental Education project, I decided to create a blog of photos and writing about my site visit experiences. So I back-tracked a couple of minutes to the park entrance to get a shot of the sign before beginning my foray into the park. I have included several photos, as well as some thoughts and connections I made. Enjoy, and feel free to comment on what I've written, photos I've posted...or comment on the experiences that you had while visiting the park. Cheers, Jeff


I wandered off the main path a few times, as there were several side paths that looked interesting. Bridges are such cool structures, so I had to check it out.

As I walked further into the park, the warm, smoky scent that hung in the air reminded me of camping trips with my family as a kid. We spent many happy hours swimming, exploring the surrounding woods, or conversing around the campfire. Like then, I am now just following whichever trail, path, or direction that suits me. Not having to adhere to a strict schedule or plan for the time being is fantastic. I am just wandering. Several sounds fill the air: bird songs, some shrill, others happy and sing-song; grasshoppers chirping and fluttering away as I approach; and the constant, soothing rush of Mill Creek as it meanders through a multitude of rocks and fallen trees.
The Three Sisters? Click here if you want to know what the Three Sisters are...and how to make them a part of your family!
The creek was pretty slow-moving at the entrance to the park.
At one point I spotted a solitary black ant, lugging a massive crumb that was bigger than its entire body up, over, and around rocks that stood taller and wider than the insect. I was so engrossed in watching it, I failed to capture it in a photo! It was an incredible display of just how strong, persistent, and self-reliant nature's creatures can be. Ant, I dub thee "Iron Ant"!


I saw this cigarette butt pretty high up on the hillside. Fortunately it didn't start a fire, as the area's extremely dry, with dozens of pine needles, fallen wood, and pine cones carpeting the forest floor.

What type of berries are these? I have read that, if you were wanting/needing to eat, blue berries are the safest, red are moderately safe, and white are poisonous and should never be consumed.

I approached this clearing, thinking that someone had created a fire pit of sorts...but it looked much more scattered at close range.

Two roads diverged...



A river of pine cones

Man... more garbage?! What's this big blue foamy-looking thing doing here?

The new symbol of Kelowna. Too bad the camera wouldn't cooperate and focus sharply. What do you think of the city's new symbol? Click here for more info

It was steeper than it appears...


The view of the miniature waterfall and the creek as seen from my perch between two rocks
As I allowed myself to relax, observe, and just sit still, "I c(a)me into the peace of wild things...for a time I rest(ed) in the grace of the world, and (was)free" (from Wendell Berry's "The Peace of Wild Things")
I realized that I'd been gone quite a while, and so turned to leave. My peaceful, mediative state ended when I spotted this.
More junk. I decided to pack this out.

A twisted hunk of rusted metal near the creek

Time to head back down




No comments:

Post a Comment