Thursday, July 30, 2009

Site Visit #3: Kaloya Regional Park

A small park tucked in between Kalamalka and Wood Lakes, Kaloya Regional Park features beautiful blue, temperate waters, lots of families enjoying themselves, a small playground, a "nature trail"...and a lot of Canada geese. More on them later.



Upon entering the park, I noticed there were two beach areas: one, pictured above, was teeming with families and people; the other, pictured below, was empty except for a gaggle of geese. I thought, this would be perfect! Here's what happened:

Muddy-Bottomed Beach

A deserted, placid beach, green-blue aqua inviting me in

Muddy Bottom, the sign said.

What harm could a little mud do? I thought.

One step and gentle cool embraces me

Two, three, four, and I'm knee-deep in quicksand

Moderate panic sets in

As visions of total submersion flash through my brain

Nightmares from childhood resurface

I briefly struggle to free my feet from the muddy glue

And I quickly step out onto terra firma.

Always obey the posted signs.


A gaggle of geese move together as one

Like a pack of adolescents roaming the mall

They squawk, seemingly laughing – it sounds forced

As though the followers were fake-laughing at a raunchy, terrible joke

They all move together, heads bobbing rhythmically

As though they all wore iPods that were playing the same song




No comments:

Post a Comment